priya kumari

Reward of Rs10m announced for Priya Kumari’s Recovery

1 min read

The parents of Priya Kumari, who had gone missing at the age of seven years in Sukkur on August 19, 2021, held a sit-in outside the Sindh Chief Minister House on 20 July 2024, following which a government delegation met the girl’s family and assured them of full cooperation.

The delegation comprised Home Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar, and Pakistan Peoples Party MPAs Mukesh Kumar Chawla, Lal Chand Ukrani, and Sham Sunder Advani. Civil society representatives Sheema Kermani, Fahmida Riaz, and Liaquat Jalbani among others were also present on the occasion.

Lanjar said the Sindh police are hopeful about the case, adding that evidence suggesting the girl is alive has been found. He made the assurance that the investigation team would succeed. DIG Javed Jaskani briefed the parents about the joint investigation team’s (JIT) progress in the case.

The home minister said that the best team of the Sindh police has been formed to recover Priya. The investigation team has collected evidence of her being alive after three years, and has come close to resolving the case, he added.

“I have faith in the Sindh police. They will rescue Priya Kumari,” he stressed. He also announced a reward of Rs10 million for the police team that would rescue the girl.

“If the parents want a judicial commission or another JIT formed, or any other officer assigned to the case, we are ready to do that too. We assure you that this same team will bring Priya Kumari back safely.”

Earlier, a protest was held at Teen Talwar for the girl’s recovery. The protest started at around 10:30 pm on Friday and lasted until about 1:30 am on Saturday. The protesters dispersed after the home minister and the Karachi police chief held talks with them to assure them of recovering the girl. The demonstrators had held banners and placards with slogans demanding the girl’s recovery. They said that on the 10th Muharram three years ago, Priya had gone missing from a water stall. They lamented that there had been no information about her since that day. They demanded that the higher authorities ensure her immediate recovery. They said they would continue their peaceful protest until the child is recovered.

A heavy contingent of the South Zone police had arrived at the scene. Allegedly, police beat up a private TV channel’s reporter and cameraman, and also baton-charged the protesters and detained some of them. Upon hearing reports of police violence against protesters and media representatives, Lanjar ordered the South Zone police chief to conduct an inquiry. He said that any officers involved in the violence would face departmental action. He assured journalists that no injustice against them would be tolerated.

Published in News Daily on 21 July 2024.

go green islamabad
Previous Story

Islamabad Schools Go Green: 100 Primary Schools To Be Powered By Solar Energy

polio
Next Story

Polio Paralyses Two Kids in KP, Balochistan

Latest from Blog

Students’ Future at Stake as Board Migration Issue Remains Unresolved

LOWER DIR: Dozens of students seeking migration to the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Malakand are facing uncertainty after the board allegedly declined to process migration cases from other educational boards in the province, putting their academic future at risk. Speaking to local journalists at Timergara on Feb 17,…

Concerns Raised Over Students Buying Vapes from Shops Near Schools

KARACHI: The School Education and Literacy Department of the Government of Sindh has shown its grave concern over the sale of vapes and other prohibited narcotics at shops situated near school premises. Upon recent visits by inspection and monitoring committee teams to several privately managed schools, it was observed that…

Progress on Project to Prevent Stunting Among Children Reviewed

KARACHI: The Benazir Nashonuma Programme (BNP) — a key initiative for stunting prevention that targets pregnant and lactating women and infants — has demonstrated a 6.4 percentage-point reduction in stunting among children aged 6-23 months, along with significant improvements in maternal dietary diversity and a reduction in low birth weight.…
rape

14-Year-Old Domestic Worker Allegedly Sexually Assaulted in Lahore

LAHORE: A 14-year-old domestic worker was allegedly sexually assaulted and blackmailed in Lahore after the suspect recorded and shared explicit videos of her, Gulberg Police said on Wednesday. The victim, who worked with her parents at a residence in a private housing society, had befriended the suspect through a female…

Islamabad, Sindh, K-P Announce Revised School Hours for Ramazan

The Federal Directorate of Education (FDE) on Feb 18 announced revised operating hours for all government-run educational institutions in the capital for the upcoming holy month of Ramazan. The Central Ruet-e-Hilal Committee announced today that the crescent moon for Ramazan 1447 AH was sighted and the first fast of the holy…
Go toTop