Over 580 rounded up as Crackdown on Professional Beggars continues in Capital

1 min read

ISLAMABAD: The capital police have arrested 588 professional beggars and registered cases against them in the current year as a crackdown against organised beggars’ mafia continued.

The identification process of the facilitators of beggars is ongoing with the help of Safe City cameras and human intelligence sources, said the police in a statement.

“Under the special directions of Inspector General of Police (IGP) Islamabad, Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi, Islamabad Police have continued comprehensive operations against professional beggars and their facilitators in the federal capital. Acting on these instructions, legal action is being taken against professional beggars who harass citizens at roads, intersections, markets, and commercial areas.”

The police said that the facilitators and contractors who provided transportation and logistical support to beggars are being identified through Safe City surveillance cameras and human intelligence. During the ongoing year, police teams arrested 588 professional beggars and registered cases against them under the Beggary Act.

Additionally, legal action is being taken against parents whose children were found being used as beggars by criminal elements. Many criminals disguised as beggars have also been found involved in street crimes in different areas, added the police.

All police officers have been directed to further intensify and make these operations more effective. Citizens are requested to discourage professional beggars and immediately report any such activity to the police emergency helpline “Pukar-15.”

Published in Dawn, February 23rd, 2026.

Previous Story

Videos Show Students Doing Physical Labour At School

Next Story

Headmaster Suspended after Student Stabbed at Hazro School

Latest from Blog

Ghotki Police Register Gang Rape FIR

SUKKUR: The Ghotki police have registered a gang rape case against some influential figures of Adilpur and their several associates on May 19 after much uproar on social media over the “horrific and inhuman treatment” allegedly meted out to the victim. The 15-year-old seemingly devastated girl had narrated her ordeal…

The Polio Fight Goes On

It is enough of an ignominy that this country is one of only two, the other being Afghanistan, where polio still remains endemic. However, it is even more shameful that even those brave souls who are trying to eradicate this disease from the country are routinely the target of violent,…

Five Children Die Within a Week as Measles Outbreak Hits Sujawal Coastal Belt

THATTA: A severe measles outbreak has triggered widespread panic across the coastal belt of the Shahbunder taluka (sub-district) in Sujawal district, where five children have died within a week and more than 20 others are reportedly suffering from the highly contagious disease across various villages. According to local sources, the…

Sana Yousaf’s Killer Gets Death Sentence

ISLAMABAD: An Islamabad sessions court sentenced Umar Hayat, the main culprit in the Sana Yousaf murder case, to death on May 19 after finding him guilty of killing the teenager at her residence in June last year. Hayat was arrested a day after 17-year-old Yousaf was shot dead in her…

LHC Seeks Reply on Plea against 3-month Summer Vacations

LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on May 19 issued notices to the Punjab government and other respondents on a petition challenging the decision to close educational institutions for three months during summer vacations. Justice Khalid Ishaq heard the petition filed by the All Private Schools Federation and sought replies…
Go toTop