Khairpur Sees Mpox Outbreak as Seven Babies Test Positive

2 mins read

• Health dept confirms four of seven children who died last month in Khairpur hospitals had mpox
• Claims deaths not directly linked to zoonotic viral infection
• Sukkur commissioner asks DHO to initiate ‘comprehensive contact tracing’
• Babies seemed to have infected from unsterilized hospital equipment: sources
• Many ‘chickenpox-like’ cases reported from other districts

KARACHI / SUKKUR: An outbreak of mpox, the first local outbreak of the zoonotic viral infection in the country, has claimed the lives of at least four newborns in Khairpur, it emerged on Saturday.

The worrisome child health situation involving death of seven newborns in two Khairpur hospitals took an alarming turn when the provincial health department confirmed that “initial findings showed that four of the seven children [who died] were affected by mpox”.

Sources said the seven babies affected by mpox were under treatment in intensive care units at public and private hospitals in Khairpur and seemed to have acquired the infection from unsterilized equipment.

The health department said that it received information about “unusual skin pimples” affecting children in Khairpur on March 14.

Sources said that blood samples of the affected children had been sent to Karachi from Khairpur by the health department for analysis.

All the samples were analysed at the Sindh Public Health Laboratory, Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS) and the Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH), which confirmed seven cases of mpox.

According to a health department statement: “A review by medical experts, however, indicates that their deaths were not directly caused by mpox. All children who died were premature, too weak and had low birth weight. They were already suffering health complications caused by malnutrition.”

Expressing concern over the child health crisis, Dr Abdul Ghafoor Shoro of the Pakistan Medical Association described it as an outbreak of mpox, which needed urgent measures to prevent its further spread in the community.

Hospitals shut as contact tracing begins

In its statement, the health department said that “in order to prevent spread of the virus, the neonatal intensive care units of the Khairpur Medical College, Hospital and a private hospital have been temporarily closed down”.

“An expert team has identified the index case and the possible sources of virus transmission and infection,” it added.

According to officials, the department is currently engaged in contact tracing and has directed all hospitals to enforce infection control protocols.

“The health department ensures the public that the situation is under control and doctors at big hospitals in Sukkur and Khairpur are monitoring it,” the statement says, urging people to report to a nearby government hospital if they see any unusual signs and symptoms.

Sindh Health Care Commission Chief Executive Officer Dr Ahson Qavi Siddiqi told Dawn a team had visited the hospitals in question on the request of the health department and ensuring to implement infection control protocols.

“A committee led by the deputy commissioner and all stakeholders on board has been set up along with a surveillance team to monitor the situation,” he said, adding that the hospitals were registered with the commission.

Many more suspected cases reported

Cases involving children having unusual skin lesions continue to be reported in Sukkur, Khairpur, Mirpurkhas and Hyderabad.

Numerous cases have surfaced at Sukkur Children’s Hospital and various private facilities in Khairpur.

Authorities have set up isolation centres in difference hospitals.

Sukkur Commissioner Abid Saleem Qureshi has written a letter to the Sindh health secretary about an emergency-like situation in Khairpur and Sukkur districts.

It said that out of 16 reported cases of this “chickenpox-like” mysterious disease, seven children have died. Most victims are newborns, and their mothers have shown similar symptoms.

Initial investigations point toward poor infection prevention and control (IPC) measures in hospitals as the primary cause of the rapid spread.

Meanwhile, the commissioner directed Khairpur district health officer to initiate comprehensive contact tracing, followed by timely sampling, isolation and monitoring of all identified contacts.

He issued strict instructions to all government hospitals regarding the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) kits, and a Rapid Response Team (RRT) has been formed to monitor the situation.

He said all concerned departments are directed to treat the situation as a public health emergency and ensure immediate, coordinated and result-oriented measures.

Published in Dawn, April 5th, 2026.

Previous Story

Education Paradox

Next Story

Autism Cases Surge as Data Remains Unavailable

Latest from Blog

Ghotki Police Register Gang Rape FIR

SUKKUR: The Ghotki police have registered a gang rape case against some influential figures of Adilpur and their several associates on May 19 after much uproar on social media over the “horrific and inhuman treatment” allegedly meted out to the victim. The 15-year-old seemingly devastated girl had narrated her ordeal…

The Polio Fight Goes On

It is enough of an ignominy that this country is one of only two, the other being Afghanistan, where polio still remains endemic. However, it is even more shameful that even those brave souls who are trying to eradicate this disease from the country are routinely the target of violent,…

Five Children Die Within a Week as Measles Outbreak Hits Sujawal Coastal Belt

THATTA: A severe measles outbreak has triggered widespread panic across the coastal belt of the Shahbunder taluka (sub-district) in Sujawal district, where five children have died within a week and more than 20 others are reportedly suffering from the highly contagious disease across various villages. According to local sources, the…

Sana Yousaf’s Killer Gets Death Sentence

ISLAMABAD: An Islamabad sessions court sentenced Umar Hayat, the main culprit in the Sana Yousaf murder case, to death on May 19 after finding him guilty of killing the teenager at her residence in June last year. Hayat was arrested a day after 17-year-old Yousaf was shot dead in her…

LHC Seeks Reply on Plea against 3-month Summer Vacations

LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on May 19 issued notices to the Punjab government and other respondents on a petition challenging the decision to close educational institutions for three months during summer vacations. Justice Khalid Ishaq heard the petition filed by the All Private Schools Federation and sought replies…
Go toTop