Children In AJK Learn Emergency Drills As Pak-India Tensions Rise

1 min read

MUZAFFARABAD: School playing fields in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) are being transformed into first aid camps for children to learn how to respond if war breaks out with India.

Wearing a protective helmet and a fluorescent vest, 13-year-old Konain Bibi listened attentively to her first aid lesson.

“With India threatening us, there’s a possibility of war, so well all have to support each other,” she told AFP.

Pakistan has warned that it has “credible intelligence” that India was planning an imminent military strike.

Already frosty relations between the nuclear-armed neighbours have plummeted since a deadly assault on tourists in Pahalgam in Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK) last week.

There are more than 6,000 schools, colleges and universities on the Pakistan side of the border — including 1,195 along the Line of Control (LoC).

Local authorities launched first aid training this week, teaching students how to jump out of a window, use an inflatable evacuation slide, or carry an injured person.

In Muzaffarabad, the largest city in the AJK, training sessions have already taken place in 13 schools, according to emergency workers.

“In an emergency, schools are the first to be affected, which is why we are starting evacuation training with schoolchildren,” Abdul Basit Moughal, a trainer from Pakistan’s Civil Defence directorate, told AFP.

The agency will deploy its rescue workers to schools bordering the LoC in the coming days.

“We’re learning to help our friends and provide first aid in case India attacks us,” said 12-year-old Faizan Ahmed as students watched an instructor handle a fire extinguisher.

Eleven-year-old Ali Raza added: “We have learned how to dress a wounded person, how to carry someone on a stretcher and how to put out a fire.”

About 1.5 million people live near the Line of Control on the Pakistani side, where residents were preparing for violence by readying simple, mud-walled underground bunkers reinforced with concrete if they could afford it.

“For a week we are living under constant fear,” said Iftikhar Ahmad Mir, a 44-year-old shopkeeper in Chakothi.

“We are extremely worried about their safety on the way to school because the area was targeted by the Indian army in the past,” he said of the village’s children. “We make sure they don’t roam around after finishing their school and come straight home.”

Published in News Daily on 02-May-2025.

Previous Story

Mothers Asked To Start Breastfeeding Babies Soon After Birth

Next Story

Two Booked, One Held For Abusing Teenage Boy In Rawalpindi

Latest from Blog

Ghotki Police Register Gang Rape FIR

SUKKUR: The Ghotki police have registered a gang rape case against some influential figures of Adilpur and their several associates on May 19 after much uproar on social media over the “horrific and inhuman treatment” allegedly meted out to the victim. The 15-year-old seemingly devastated girl had narrated her ordeal…

The Polio Fight Goes On

It is enough of an ignominy that this country is one of only two, the other being Afghanistan, where polio still remains endemic. However, it is even more shameful that even those brave souls who are trying to eradicate this disease from the country are routinely the target of violent,…

Five Children Die Within a Week as Measles Outbreak Hits Sujawal Coastal Belt

THATTA: A severe measles outbreak has triggered widespread panic across the coastal belt of the Shahbunder taluka (sub-district) in Sujawal district, where five children have died within a week and more than 20 others are reportedly suffering from the highly contagious disease across various villages. According to local sources, the…

Sana Yousaf’s Killer Gets Death Sentence

ISLAMABAD: An Islamabad sessions court sentenced Umar Hayat, the main culprit in the Sana Yousaf murder case, to death on May 19 after finding him guilty of killing the teenager at her residence in June last year. Hayat was arrested a day after 17-year-old Yousaf was shot dead in her…

LHC Seeks Reply on Plea against 3-month Summer Vacations

LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on May 19 issued notices to the Punjab government and other respondents on a petition challenging the decision to close educational institutions for three months during summer vacations. Justice Khalid Ishaq heard the petition filed by the All Private Schools Federation and sought replies…
Go toTop