Medical Officers Suspended Following Unborn Child’s Death

1 min read

GUJAR KHAN: District Health Authority Rawalpindi has suspended three medical officers posted in Tehsil Headquarters Hospital (THQ) Gujar Khan over ‘misconduct’ after the baby of an admitted pregnant woman reportedly died before delivery on 18th October 2024.

According to local sources, Ayesha Ali was admitted to the gynae ward of the THQ Hospital in Gujar Khan on September 16 for childbirth, and was referred to another hospital in Rawalpindi on Wednesday morning by on-duty woman medical officer after the health of the baby deteriorated in the mother’s womb, despite the on-call gynaecologist and on-call anaesthetist being available for delivery.

The child was declared dead at a private hospital in Gujar Khan during checkup of the woman before she could be transported to a hospital in Rawalpindi.

According to the incident report compiled by Medical Superintendent of THQ Hospital Gujar Khan, Dr Sarmad Kiyani, Dr Jawaid Iqbal, anaesthetist, and Dr Hira Tanvir, gynaecologist, were on-call but did not join the hospital for operation, adding that the patient was referred to a tertiary care hospital by a woman medical officer, Dr Sehar Iftikhar, on the “written” demand from the attendants.

While talking to Dawn, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the District Health Authority (DHA), Dr Arbab Niazi said immediate action was taken over the “misconduct” of the medical officers after the issue was raised on social media. He maintained that no formal application was submitted from the attendants of the patient over the incident, saying the DHA was investigating the matter on its own.

CEO Niazi stated that Dr. Jawaid Iqbal, anaesthetist, Dr Hira Tanvir, gynaecologist, and Dr. Sehar Iftikhar (WMO) have been relieved of their responsibilities at THQ Gujar Khan and put under suspension till the finalisation of inquiry/legal process from authorities.

Dr Arbab Niazi also said that a three-member inquiry committee has also been constituted to probe the incident, which would submit its report to the DHA within 24 hours.

Meanwhile, MPA from Gujar Khan Shaukat Aziz Bhatti has also taken notice of the incident and demanded action against the medical staff for negligence. In a statement, he said that he would share the findings of the inquiry with the Punjab chief minister for action.

Published in Dawn, September 19th, 2024

rape
Previous Story

Minor Rape Victim Dies At Hospital

principal warden held
Next Story

School Principal, Hostel Warden Held For Molesting Children

Latest from Blog

Ghotki Police Register Gang Rape FIR

SUKKUR: The Ghotki police have registered a gang rape case against some influential figures of Adilpur and their several associates on May 19 after much uproar on social media over the “horrific and inhuman treatment” allegedly meted out to the victim. The 15-year-old seemingly devastated girl had narrated her ordeal…

The Polio Fight Goes On

It is enough of an ignominy that this country is one of only two, the other being Afghanistan, where polio still remains endemic. However, it is even more shameful that even those brave souls who are trying to eradicate this disease from the country are routinely the target of violent,…

Five Children Die Within a Week as Measles Outbreak Hits Sujawal Coastal Belt

THATTA: A severe measles outbreak has triggered widespread panic across the coastal belt of the Shahbunder taluka (sub-district) in Sujawal district, where five children have died within a week and more than 20 others are reportedly suffering from the highly contagious disease across various villages. According to local sources, the…

Sana Yousaf’s Killer Gets Death Sentence

ISLAMABAD: An Islamabad sessions court sentenced Umar Hayat, the main culprit in the Sana Yousaf murder case, to death on May 19 after finding him guilty of killing the teenager at her residence in June last year. Hayat was arrested a day after 17-year-old Yousaf was shot dead in her…

LHC Seeks Reply on Plea against 3-month Summer Vacations

LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on May 19 issued notices to the Punjab government and other respondents on a petition challenging the decision to close educational institutions for three months during summer vacations. Justice Khalid Ishaq heard the petition filed by the All Private Schools Federation and sought replies…
Go toTop