Special Education Directorate In Financial Straits: Report

1 min read

ISLAMABAD: The Directorate General Special Education, which was transferred to the Ministry of Education three months ago from the Ministry of Human Rights, has only 1,600 students in its all 133 centre while it has 658 employees.

Reports say the institution has no fuel to run their busses for pick and drop of the 1,600 special children enrolled in special education centre while no funds were available to pay the electricity, gas, and water bills.

The reports said training centre of G-9 for special persons and special education centre for hearing impaired opened on January 9 after the winter break but with very meager attendance in the absence of pick and drop facility. Moreover, no funds are available to pay the electricity, gas, and water bills.

However, education ministry, which was approached on Thursday by Dawn, in writing rejected the reports on Friday.

“There is shortage of funds but the crisis has not taken alarming turn as neither the pick and drop facility for students was being withdrawn. nor are the utilities being disconnected as payments have been made after the current quarter releases and case for additional funds is under process,” education ministry claimed in its written reply.

The ministry said that it was given administrative control of special education a few months ago. Ministry said that survey of the special children was conducted with the help Pakistan Bureau of Statistics and NGOs and a drive for new enrollment has been started.

“The funds were surrendered previous years and hence there is a shortage of funds,” read the statement.

It was also pointed out earlier, that employees would not attend office as a practice. The housing colony and community centres were in shambles and windows, doors, electric wires and other fittings of the buildings were stolen causing loss to the government exchequer.

After strict directions by the education minister and federal secretary, the statement said: “Employees were told to adhere to office timings.

When contacted, Federal Secretary Education Mohyuddin Ahmad Wani said that he was told that officers concerned with the special education directorate told him that neither the electricity is being disconnected nor the bus facility had been stopped.

“Since, we got this directorate just three months ago, we are going to pay special focus on it. I have also directed for third party audit of this directorate,” he said and added that best facilities would be provided to special children and required funds would also be provided to this directorate on priority basis.

“Special children deserve special attention and soon, people will see improvement in all centres of special education. We will start a special drive to enhance enrollment,” he said.

To a query, the secretary confirmed that current enrollment is 1,600 in all 133 centres while directorate has 658 employees.

Published in Dawn, January 11th, 2025

Previous Story

Recruitment Plan To Address Staff Shortage At Schools

Next Story

Underage Marriages: Action Against Nikah Khawans Ordered

Latest from Blog

Girl ‘Gang-raped’ by Five Dies by suicide in Gujrat

GUJRAT: A 17-year-old girl, who was allegedly gang-raped by five suspects, later “died by suicide” under mysterious circumstances at Sanda village in Mandi Bahauddin district in Miana Gondal police precincts on Monday. The complainant, Zulfiqar Ahmed, of Sanda village told police that he had gone to a local shop to…

Experts Warn Population Policies Lag Behind Demographic Realities

ISLAMABAD: With Pakistan’s population having crossed 240 million and a median age of just 19, policymakers, health experts and researchers warned that the country’s demographic trajectory demands an urgent shift from short-term fixes to robust, evidence-based strategies. The stakeholders were speaking at the Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) seminar titled…

Residents Warn of Protest over Prolonged School Closure

BAJAUR: Residents of Seeda Shah, a remote area of Charmang Valley of Nawagai tehsil on August 9 complained about the closure of a government school for more than a week due to the ‘absence’ of teachers and warned of holding a protest if the issue was not addressed immediately. Talking…

Officials Adopt ‘Novel’ Way To Select Schools For Upgradation In Khyber

KHYBER: Setting aside the official criteria for upgradation of primary schools, officials of the education department in Khyber adopted a ‘novel’ way to select primary schools for upgradation by conducting a draw in Jamrud tehsil, much to the displeasure of people. Dawn learnt from both official and private sources that…
Go toTop