Special Education Centres Get Direly Needed Funds

1 min read

ISLAMABAD: The struggling directorate of special education, which supervises around 13 institutions for differently abled students, on 22nd January got Rs49 million in an additional grant from the Ministry of Education.

Likewise, the school meal programme, under which children enrolled in public schools are provided free lunch, has also been extended to all special educational centres.

“Today we received Rs49 million from the education ministry while the school meal programme has also been extended to all centres of special education from Wednesday,” said Education Joint Secretary Asif Bhatti, who is also acting as the director general of special education.

He said a PC-I was being prepared to upgrade all centres in addition to the establishment of four new centres of excellence. “We are also exploring the options for solarisation to resolve the issue of electricity…,” he said.

Rs49 million in additional grant doled out, free meal programme extended to special schools

“Today, the students were very happy when they were provided free lunch (and) all other issues have also been resolved, including the resumption of the transport service to provide pick and drop to students,” he said.

The special directorate has been facing financial issues since it was transferred from the Ministry of Human Rights to the Ministry of Education in July last year, with the allocation of Rs726 million for fiscal year 2024-25.

Due to the budget shortfall, this directorate had been facing issues, such as the payment of utility bills and the transport operations. On Tuesday, the National Assembly was informed that the Directorate of Special Education had been facing a shortage of funds.

The issue was raised by lawmakers in a calling attention notice by lawmakers in the National Assembly. Similarly, the Special Education Centre for Hearing Impairment Children in Sector H-9 recently remained in the news after a shortage of funds led to the suspension of the bus service.

However, Education Secretary Mohyuddin Ahmad Wani and Joint Secretary Asif Bhatti got the bus service restored last Friday, and the same day, the principal of the centre, Shahbaz Akhtar, was also transferred.

He was posted as the coordination director at the special education directorate, replacing Asna Aziz.

Asna Aziz, the new principal, has been tasked with improving the quality of education and enrolment as well.

“I also came to know that this centre has been facing a shortage of teachers as well. Within a week’s time, we will arrange new teachers for this important centre. There are no ifs and buts for special education. Special children deserve special attention, and we will take every step for the provision of the best facilities to these students,” said Mr Bhatti, the director general of special education.

It is relevant to note that special education has 13 centres under its command, and surprisingly there are 658 employees, including teachers, to run these centers where 1600 students are enrolled.

Published in Dawn, January 23rd, 2025

Previous Story

Sindh Govt Taking Steps To Reduce Number Of Out-of-school Children

Next Story

Three Booked For Kidnapping, Gang-raping Girl

Latest from Blog

Girl ‘Gang-raped’ by Five Dies by suicide in Gujrat

GUJRAT: A 17-year-old girl, who was allegedly gang-raped by five suspects, later “died by suicide” under mysterious circumstances at Sanda village in Mandi Bahauddin district in Miana Gondal police precincts on Monday. The complainant, Zulfiqar Ahmed, of Sanda village told police that he had gone to a local shop to…

Experts Warn Population Policies Lag Behind Demographic Realities

ISLAMABAD: With Pakistan’s population having crossed 240 million and a median age of just 19, policymakers, health experts and researchers warned that the country’s demographic trajectory demands an urgent shift from short-term fixes to robust, evidence-based strategies. The stakeholders were speaking at the Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) seminar titled…

Residents Warn of Protest over Prolonged School Closure

BAJAUR: Residents of Seeda Shah, a remote area of Charmang Valley of Nawagai tehsil on August 9 complained about the closure of a government school for more than a week due to the ‘absence’ of teachers and warned of holding a protest if the issue was not addressed immediately. Talking…

Officials Adopt ‘Novel’ Way To Select Schools For Upgradation In Khyber

KHYBER: Setting aside the official criteria for upgradation of primary schools, officials of the education department in Khyber adopted a ‘novel’ way to select primary schools for upgradation by conducting a draw in Jamrud tehsil, much to the displeasure of people. Dawn learnt from both official and private sources that…
Go toTop