Minister Seeks to Bust Myths about HPV Vaccine

1 min read

KARACHI: Sindh Health and Population Welfare Minister Dr Azra Fazal Pechuho has condemned a social media campaign spreading disinformation about the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, stressing that it prevents cervical cancer and is not a contraceptive.

Speaking at the launch of a two-day vaccination camp at the Karachi Press Club, aimed at immunising daughters of press club members, she said 57 percent of Sindh’s 4.1 million girls aged between 9 and 14 have already been vaccinated. “This is about saving lives, not politics,” she remarked, adding that evidence against those fuelling propaganda had been submitted to the cybercrime wing.

Dr Pechuho noted that cervical cancer kills over 3,000 women in Pakistan annually. “Symptoms remain hidden until the disease has spread. At that stage, only surgery or radiation can help – often with limited success,” she said.

Senior gynaecologist Dr Nighat Shah endorsed the campaign, recalling that she had her own daughter vaccinated years ago when three doses were required. Pediatrician Dr Khalid Shafiq added that international studies now show a single dose is effective. “These millions of girls are our daughters too. If the vaccine caused infertility, would we give it to our own children?” he asked.

News Published in Express Tribune on September 21, 2025.

Previous Story

Man Indicted Over TikTok Star Killing

Next Story

Conviction Rate Low in Child-Marriage Cases

Latest from Blog

Sindh Assembly Passes Bill for Legal Cover to Household Workers

KARACHI: In a move to protect some of the province’s most overlooked workers, the Sindh Assembly on May 11 passed the Domestic Workers Welfare Bill 2025, bringing formal safeguards to the employment and working conditions of household workers across the province. According to the bill, which requires gubernatorial assent to…

Six Booked for Throwing Child into Manhole in Toba Tek Singh

TOBA TEK SINGH: The incident of a four-year-old girl falling into a manhole and drowning seven days ago in the Tayyaba Town of Tandlianwala has taken a new turn after the Tandlianwala City Police booked six persons for killing her on May 17. Complainant Laraib Qasim claimed in her FIR…

Four Booked in Swat for Abducting, Assaulting Girl

SWAT: The police on may 16 registered a case against four persons for allegedly abducting and assaulting a 17-year-old girl for 16 days in the Khwazakhela area of Upper Swat. According to an FIR, the victim told police that her mother was under treatment at Saidu Sharif Hospital. She stated…
Go toTop