Man Indicted Over TikTok Star Killing

1 min read

ISLAMABAD: A man accused of shooting dead a 17-year-old TikTok star at her home in the federal capital after she had repeatedly rejected his advances was formally indicted on September 20.

Sana Yousaf’s murder in June drew nationwide condemnation and reignited debate over women’s safety, after some online comments — alongside condolences — blamed her for her own death.

The 22-year-old accused, Umar Hayat, pleaded not guilty in Islamabad’s district and sessions court.

“All the allegations made against me are baseless and false,” the accused told Judge Muhammad Afzal Majoka.

During the hearing, the judge enquired whether Hayat had killed Sana. “I did not commit any such crime,” the accused replied.

The judge then asked him whether he was falsely accused in the case.

“Is this all a lie?” the judge remarked. He also pointed out that Hayat had been accused of snatching Yousaf’s mobile phone.

At that, the accused maintained that all allegations levelled against him were “based on falsehood”.

The court then adjourned the hearing until September 25.

Islamabad police had arrested Hayat on June 3, a day after Yousaf was killed at her house in Islamabad.

Preceding his arrest, a first information report (FIR) of the murder was registered at Islamabad’s Sumbal police station against an unidentified man on the complaint of Sana’s mother, Farzana Yousaf, invoking Section 302 (intentional murder) of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC).

In the FIR, Yousaf’s mother said that a man with a pistol in his hand had entered their house suddenly at around 5pm and “shot straight at my daughter with the intention to kill”.

Later, Islamabad Inspector General (IG) Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi had said during a press conference the police had arrested a suspect, who was a was a 22-year-old man, from Faisalabad.

He said Hayat had tried to contact Yousaf repeatedly and was being “rejected by her again and again”, adding that the accused had taken Yousaf’s mobile phone in a bid to wipe out the evidence but it had been recovered along with the weapon of offence.

On July 25, police had formally submitted the challan against Hayat to the prosecution branch of the district and sessions courts. It also included Hayat’s confessional statement recorded under Section 164 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.

In his statement, Hayat – son of a retired government official and a TikToker himself — said he had developed a one-sided infatuation with Sana after connecting with her through social media. He had confessed that suspicion and jealousy drove him to kill her.

Hayat revealed that he had travelled from Jaranwala to Islamabad on May 28 to wish Sana on her birthday. When she did not meet him, he became convinced she was deliberately avoiding him, he said, adding that On June 2, he returned to the capital after renting a Toyota Fortuner and carrying a 30-bore pistol, intending to confront her.

News Published in Express Tribune on September 21, 2025.

Previous Story

Petition Filed in PHC for Protection of Children’s Rights

Next Story

Minister Seeks to Bust Myths about HPV Vaccine

Latest from Blog

Sindh Assembly Passes Bill for Legal Cover to Household Workers

KARACHI: In a move to protect some of the province’s most overlooked workers, the Sindh Assembly on May 11 passed the Domestic Workers Welfare Bill 2025, bringing formal safeguards to the employment and working conditions of household workers across the province. According to the bill, which requires gubernatorial assent to…

Six Booked for Throwing Child into Manhole in Toba Tek Singh

TOBA TEK SINGH: The incident of a four-year-old girl falling into a manhole and drowning seven days ago in the Tayyaba Town of Tandlianwala has taken a new turn after the Tandlianwala City Police booked six persons for killing her on May 17. Complainant Laraib Qasim claimed in her FIR…

Four Booked in Swat for Abducting, Assaulting Girl

SWAT: The police on may 16 registered a case against four persons for allegedly abducting and assaulting a 17-year-old girl for 16 days in the Khwazakhela area of Upper Swat. According to an FIR, the victim told police that her mother was under treatment at Saidu Sharif Hospital. She stated…
Go toTop