KP Reported 258 Rape Cases Last Year with One Conviction Only

1 min read

PESHAWAR: Human Rights Council of Pakistan, a non-government organisation, on Mar 7 launched the 2025 human rights report, highlighting that a total of 258 rape cases were reported in the province, but only one conviction was recorded, reflecting a conviction rate of around 0.39pc.

The report was launched at the Peshawar Press Club on the eve of International Women’s Day, which is observed on March 8.

Speaking on the occasion, the council’s provincial president Izharuddin Khan said that around five percent of women in the province faced violence on a daily basis. He added that only about 30pc of gender-based violence cases were reported, while nearly 70pc went unreported.

Mr Khan said that harassment incidents had also been reported in universities across the province, adding that female students were not safe from gender-based harassment.

Report says around 160,000 cybercrime complaints recorded in 2025

According to the report, University of Peshawar and University of Malakand were among the institutions where harassment complaints had been highlighted.

Mr Khan also said that traditional practices such as swara — the giving of girls in marriage to settle disputes — still existed in parts of the province.

The report further highlighted the rise in digital harassment, noting that about 160,000 cybercrime cases were reported in 2025. However, officials said these represented only cases where victims were aware of cybercrime reporting mechanisms, while an estimated 30 to 40pc of incidents remained unreported due to lack of awareness.

Speaking on the occasion, the council’s central chairman Jamshed Hussain said that 2025 had been a particularly difficult year for women in the province. He also criticised the distribution of reserved seats for women in the provincial assembly, alleging that local women had been deprived of representation.

The report also expressed concern over violence against transgender persons, stating that several members of the community were killed during the year while others were reportedly forced to leave certain areas, including parts of Swabi district.

Representatives of the council called on the provincial government to introduce legislation to protect women’s rights and ensure their safety. They urged the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly to expedite approval of a women’s empowerment policy and enact laws addressing acid attacks and domestic violence.

They also demanded the establishment of special courts and dedicated funds to deal with cases of gender-based violence and called for stronger measures to empower women and safeguard their rights.

The press conference was also addressed by the council’s vice-chairperson Afsha Kiyani and tribal rights activist Sakina Afridi.

Published in Dawn, March 8th, 2026.

boy killed
Previous Story

11-Year-Old Boy Tortured to Death

Next Story

Newly-established Daanish School receives over 7,000 applications against 210 seats

Latest from Blog

Child Stunting is Pakistan’s Hidden Economic Crisis

KARACHI: Pakistan’s economic debate rarely strays far from familiar territory. Inflation, public debt, exports, taxation and the energy crisis dominate political speeches and newspaper headlines alike. These are undoubtedly pressing concerns for a country grappling with recurring fiscal instability. Yet beneath these visible economic challenges lies another crisis – less…

Dir Residents Raise Concern Over Stray Dogs

LOWER DIR: The increasing number of stray dogs in different parts of Lower Dir has emerged as a serious public safety and health concern, with residents urging authorities to introduce a comprehensive strategy to address the issue. Residents told Dawn on Sunday that packs of stray dogs were commonly seen…

Bid To Smuggle Minor Girl Abroad Foiled

TOBA TEK SINGH: The Faisalabad FIA has foiled an attempt to traffic a minor girl to Saudi Arabia on August 16 through a fake marriage certificate. An FIA official said that during an immigration check at the Faisalabad International Airport, a minor passenger was stopped and profiled. During the examination…
SHC

Filmmaker moves SHC against curb on screening of Ghost School

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court has issued notices to the secretary of culture department and the Sindh Board of Film Censors on a petition filed against blocking the screening of a film titled Ghost School in the province. A two-judge constitutional bench of the SHC comprising Justice Adnan-ul-Karim Memon and Justice Muhammad Jaffer Raza…

Upper Dir Proposes Week-long Closure of 18 Girls’ Schools

LOWER DIR: The district education officer on August 15 recommended the temporary closure for one week of 18 girls’ schools in the border areas of Upper Dir amid the prevailing security situation along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. According to an official letter issued by the district education officer, Upper Dir, to…
Go toTop