Chaos Persists as Schools, Students Struggle to Secure Matric Admit Cards in Karachi

2 mins read

KARACHI: A day after the Board of Secondary Education Karachi (BSEK) postponed the matriculation exams for three days, the administrations of hundreds of schools, mostly privately run, are still scrambling to obtain admit cards for their thousands of students so they can learn about their examination centres.

The matriculation exams, originally scheduled to begin on April 7, were postponed on Sunday night and will now commence on April 10, with approximately 385,000 candidates at 530 examination centres across Karachi Division.

The board acknowledged the issue with admit cards but said that it was currently transitioning from a manual to a digital system. As a result, the software application became overloaded and experienced a temporary disruption.

On Monday, representatives of private schools were seen gathered in large numbers at the board office to obtain admit cards, but received no clear response and were met with disappointment due to the lack of progress.

BSEK issues revised exam schedule; MQM-P warns of protests if issue not resolved in next 24 hours

The uncertainty, coupled with doubts about whether last-minute arrangements can ensure the smooth conduct of exams, is causing significant stress among students and their parents just days before the scheduled papers.

Parents said that before examinations, students’ focus should be on revision and preparation, but they are instead struggling with the mental stress of not receiving their admit cards.

Later in the evening, the BSEK issued a revised schedule for the annual examination of ninth and tenth grade students.

According to the new schedule, the first paper will be held on April 10 and the last paper on May 6.

Science group exams will be held in the morning shift, while general group exams will be in the afternoon shift. All students will take their exams at their previously assigned exam centers.

BSEK slammed for mismanagement

In a statement issued on Monday, the All Sindh Private Schools and Colleges Association said the situation reflected mismanagement at the BSEK.

The association welcomed the Sindh government’s decision to postpone exams by three days but stressed that timely exams were in students’ best interest. They attributed the crisis to the “incompetence of board chairman Ismail Rahoo.”

School representatives also raised concerns over alleged discrepancies in exam centre allocations and questioned the board’s claims regarding data processing issues. They argued that the examination system had already been digitised in recent years, making the explanation of server failures unconvincing.

They said the admit cards should have been issued at least a week before the exams and questioned whether such a hasty arrangement would now ensure accurate records on the admit cards and smooth management of the exams in examination halls.

Separately, MQM-P members of the Sindh Assembly, in a statement on Monday, alleged that the delay is not accidental but a systemic failure of the education board and a result of corruption. They termed the delay an “educational tragedy” and “administrative terrorism”.

The statement said that the world is integrating Artificial Intelligence into education and educational management, whereas the city’s board officials cannot even ensure basic documents ahead of the exams, despite their misleading claims that all preparations had been completed.

The lawmakers demanded that all admit cards be immediately made available in downloadable format and called for action against officials responsible for what they termed “criminal negligence”.

They called for facilitation desks to assist students and parents and warned of protests if the issue was not resolved in the next 24 hours.

Published in Dawn, April 7th, 2026.

Previous Story

Death Toll Rises to 11 in Balochistan as Rain Lashes Much of Country

Next Story

Premature Babies Face Rising Risk of Preventable Blindness: Report

Latest from Blog

Kidnapped Minor Girl Found Dead in Nankana

TOBA TEK SINGH: A nine-year-old girl was allegedly kidnapped and later found dead at Chak Allyanwala in Nankana Sahib district. According to Warburton police, the body of Riffat Fatima was recovered from a pit near her house. The girl’s father, Shahbazul Hassan, stated in his first information report registered under…

Mother among Five Held for Alleged Sale of Newborn

TOBA TEK SINGH: Tirkhani police, Faisalabad, arrested five people, including three women, for their alleged involvement in the sale and purchase of a newborn girl. Complainant ASI Zahid Bashir stated in his FIR, registered under Section 328 of the PPC and the Prevention of Trafficking in Persons Act 2018, that…

Govt Urged to Check Crimes against Women and Children

LAHORE: Women from different walks of life on Monday demanded that the government take urgent and effective measures against the rising incidence of crimes committed against women and children, besides voicing concerns over the lack of access to education and healthcare and the ‘discriminatory treatment’ meted out to people of…

Child Stunting is Pakistan’s Hidden Economic Crisis

KARACHI: Pakistan’s economic debate rarely strays far from familiar territory. Inflation, public debt, exports, taxation and the energy crisis dominate political speeches and newspaper headlines alike. These are undoubtedly pressing concerns for a country grappling with recurring fiscal instability. Yet beneath these visible economic challenges lies another crisis – less…

Dir Residents Raise Concern Over Stray Dogs

LOWER DIR: The increasing number of stray dogs in different parts of Lower Dir has emerged as a serious public safety and health concern, with residents urging authorities to introduce a comprehensive strategy to address the issue. Residents told Dawn on Sunday that packs of stray dogs were commonly seen…
Go toTop