Five-Year-Old Boy Dies After Falling into Uncovered Manhole in Lahore’s Sundar Area

1 min read

A five-year-old boy died after falling into an uncovered manhole in Lahore’s Sundar area on Tuesday, officials said.

The victim, identified as Hassan Amir, was playing in a street near Rana Town, behind a mosque, when he accidentally fell into a drainage pit, according to police and the child’s father. Residents rushed to the scene and managed to pull the child out before shifting him to the hospital. However, doctors could not save his life.

The boy’s father, Amir Jameel, lodged a first information report (FIR) at Sundar Police Station under Section 322 of the Pakistan Penal Code, which pertains to qatl-bis-sabab (manslaughter).

“At about 6pm, my son Hassan Amir, aged five, while playing in the street, fell into a pit,” the victim’s father said in the FIR, a copy of which is available with The Express Tribune. He said the child was rescued with the help of residents and taken to Indus Hospital, but later succumbed to injuries from the fall.

“The responsible parties for my son’s death are the concerned administration, the Atomic Energy Society (Maraka) administration, and A&B Construction Company management,” the complainant said, demanding legal action and justice.

Meanwhile, police said an investigation had been launched to determine responsibility for the child’s death and whether safety measures had been ignored.

Saddar Division Superintendent of Police Shah Rukh Khan visited the site of the incident and offered condolences to the bereaved family.

Speaking to The Express Tribune, Lahore Deputy Inspector General of Police (Operations) Mohammad Faisal Kamran said investigations were underway from multiple angles and that those found responsible would be proceeded against in accordance with the law.

The incident prompted residents to demand immediate measures to cover uncovered manholes, saying they had become a persistent threat to the lives of citizens, particularly children.

Residents said valuable lives were being lost due to the negligence of the relevant authorities and called for immediate and effective steps to prevent such incidents from recurring.

The tragedy revived memories of a similar incident in January this year, when a woman and her child died after falling into a manhole near Bhati Gate in Lahore.

A similar incident was reported a month later in the city’s Raiwind area, where a two-and-a-half-year-old child died after falling into an open manhole.

The incidents were not limited to Punjab’s capital, as such occurrences have frequently taken place in Karachi, leading to the deaths of several individuals, especially children.

One of the worst incidents was reported in Karachi last year, when three-year-old Ibrahim fell into an open manhole near the Nipa Flyover in Gulshan-e-Iqbal. His body was recovered 15 hours later from a manhole near Sir Syed University on University Road, triggering widespread outrage.

News Published in Express Tribune on June 17th, 2026.

Previous Story

Measles Claims 53 Children

Next Story

Climate Threat Looms Over Children

Latest from Blog

SHC

Filmmaker moves SHC against curb on screening of Ghost School

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court has issued notices to the secretary of culture department and the Sindh Board of Film Censors on a petition filed against blocking the screening of a film titled Ghost School in the province. A two-judge constitutional bench of the SHC comprising Justice Adnan-ul-Karim Memon and Justice Muhammad Jaffer Raza…

Upper Dir Proposes Week-long Closure of 18 Girls’ Schools

LOWER DIR: The district education officer on August 15 recommended the temporary closure for one week of 18 girls’ schools in the border areas of Upper Dir amid the prevailing security situation along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. According to an official letter issued by the district education officer, Upper Dir, to…

KP Government Launches Initiative to Identify Out-of-school Children

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on August 15 launched a data-driven initiative to identify out-of-school children across the province and to bring them back into the education system. A memorandum of understanding in this respect was signed by the elementary and secondary education, local government, elections and rural development, health and…

Minister Unveils Rs300 Million Education Package for Attock

TAXILA: Punjab Education Minister Rana Sikandar Hayat has announced a major package of educational initiatives for Attock, including the upgradation of information technology (IT) laboratories in 110 schools at cost of Rs300 million, two new university campuses, five Pink buses for girls’ colleges and an international study tour to Turkiye…

KP Govt Launches Initiative to Provide Artificial Intelligence Education

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on August 14 formally launched Global Virtual School (GVS), the first such initiative in the public sector by any government in the country, to provide virtual artificial intelligence education, linking up hundreds of schools across the length and breadth of the province. “The GVS will…
Go toTop