Citizens Can Access Birth, Death Records via Nadra Portal

2 mins read

ISLAMABAD: Citizens can now access district-level birth and de­­ath records and file right to information requests online through a verified login, as the National Da­­tabase and Registration Autho­rity (Nadra) on April 24 unveiled a new digital platform in a major step towards modernising its website.

The new portal, https://www.nadra.gov.pk, replaces a text-heavy site that users and digital rights groups had criticised as outdated and hard to navigate.

Nadra, which holds biometric data for over 240 million citizens, said the redesign groups services, statistics and support “in a structured and user-centric manner”.

For the first time, Nadra’s Geo­spatially Referenced Demographic Information System, or nGRIDS, is public. The tool displays registration data on interactive maps and lets users compare district-level cen­­sus figures with Nadra’s own records.

New digital platform groups together services, data in one place

A map gallery offers downloadable thematic maps for research and planning — data previously restric­ted to government departments.

Key identity documents — inclu­ding Computerised National Iden­tity Cards for residents, National Identity Cards for Overseas Pakis­tanis, and Family Registration Certificates — are now categorised by user type to cut search time for local and overseas users.

The site also consolidates verification services used by banks, telecom firms and government dep­a­r­tments into a single section. A de­­dicated RTI portal now lets citizens file information requests, track them online and receive responses within the stipulated timelines, with privacy safeguards listed.

Customer support has been exp­anded to include a 24/7 call centre, automated IVR system and a complaint tracker with public performance metrics. The careers portal now requires login through Nadra’s Pak ID app, which the authority says will curb fake applications.

In a statement, Nadra said the comprehensive, integrated digital platform tailored to citizens’ needs. The initiative aims to make access to services, information and data more user-friendly. The revamped website highlights Nadra’s evolving role in the country’s identity management system, showcasing the country’s transition from traditional paper-based processes to one of the world’s largest biometric identity systems.

Nadra’s careers portal has also been upgraded to meet modern re­­quirements, offering verified login through Pak ID, a streamlined application process and improved access to job opportunities.

The website also reflects Nadra’s extensive network in the country and abroad, including registration centres, mobile units, and services for overseas Pakistanis. This initiative marks a significant step towards enhancing digital accessibility, tra­nsparency and public service delivery, reinforcing the authority’s commitment to providing secure, effici­ent and citizen-centric identity services through modern technology.

“Digital accessibility and transparency are central to our service delivery,” a Nadra spokesperson said. The authority has faced criticism over data security in the past. Two major leaks of citizen data were reported in 2021 and 2023. With over three million monthly visits, the site is Nadra’s main public interface. Digital rights advocates say the test will be whether complaint resolution times and data accuracy improve under the new system.

Published in Dawn, April 25th, 2026.

Previous Story

Lahore Mother accused of Killing her 3 Children sent on 5-day Physical Remand

Next Story

Parents Urged to Vaccinate Children Against Diseases in Islamabad

Latest from Blog

SHC

Filmmaker moves SHC against curb on screening of Ghost School

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court has issued notices to the secretary of culture department and the Sindh Board of Film Censors on a petition filed against blocking the screening of a film titled Ghost School in the province. A two-judge constitutional bench of the SHC comprising Justice Adnan-ul-Karim Memon and Justice Muhammad Jaffer Raza…

Upper Dir Proposes Week-long Closure of 18 Girls’ Schools

LOWER DIR: The district education officer on August 15 recommended the temporary closure for one week of 18 girls’ schools in the border areas of Upper Dir amid the prevailing security situation along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. According to an official letter issued by the district education officer, Upper Dir, to…

KP Government Launches Initiative to Identify Out-of-school Children

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on August 15 launched a data-driven initiative to identify out-of-school children across the province and to bring them back into the education system. A memorandum of understanding in this respect was signed by the elementary and secondary education, local government, elections and rural development, health and…

Minister Unveils Rs300 Million Education Package for Attock

TAXILA: Punjab Education Minister Rana Sikandar Hayat has announced a major package of educational initiatives for Attock, including the upgradation of information technology (IT) laboratories in 110 schools at cost of Rs300 million, two new university campuses, five Pink buses for girls’ colleges and an international study tour to Turkiye…

KP Govt Launches Initiative to Provide Artificial Intelligence Education

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on August 14 formally launched Global Virtual School (GVS), the first such initiative in the public sector by any government in the country, to provide virtual artificial intelligence education, linking up hundreds of schools across the length and breadth of the province. “The GVS will…
Go toTop