Another Polio Case Found in Hyderabad; Tally Rises to 27

1 min read

ISLAMABAD: A new confirmed polio case in Hyderabad has pushed Pakistan’s nationwide tal­ly to 27 and the number of cases in Sindh to seven so far this year, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) said on September 22.

According to Regional Reference Laboratory’s official at NIH, the lab has confirmed a polio case in District Hyderabad, Sindh.

“With this detection, the total number of polio cases in Pakistan in 2025 has reached 27 — including 18 from Khyber Pakh­tun­kh­­wa, seven from Sin­dh, and one each from Pu­­njab and Gilgit-Baltistan,” he said.

Pakistan is one of the last two countries in the world where polio remains en­d­emic, alongside Afgha­nis­tan. Despite decades of gl­­o­bal eradication efforts, the virus has continued to persist, fuelled by vaccine hes­itancy, misinformation and access constraints in areas affected by insecurity.

A nationwide sub-campaign in September rea­ch­­ed some 21 million child­r­­en under five across 88 dis­­tricts, according to NIH.

Another drive is set to begin on 13 October, targeting 45.5m children with the help of more than 400,000 frontline workers going door-to-door to ensure coverage.

The most recent case co­­mes just over a week after two infections were repor­ted in KP — one involving a 19monthold child in North Waziristan and the other in an 11monthold in Lakki Marwat.

Also, the Independent Monitoring Board on polio warned in its latest assessment that, after almost four decades and $22bn spent globally, eradication efforts have reached an “inflection point”.

The board said reliance on conventional tools now yields “diminishing retu­rns” and called for fresh thinking, as well as unambiguous national ownership, to finally dismantle what it described as the “glass mountain” of polio.

Published in Dawn, September 23rd, 2025

Previous Story

3,200 Schools Reopened, Says CM Bugti

Next Story

Children To Get Rid of Heavy School Bags

Latest from Blog

SHC

Filmmaker moves SHC against curb on screening of Ghost School

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court has issued notices to the secretary of culture department and the Sindh Board of Film Censors on a petition filed against blocking the screening of a film titled Ghost School in the province. A two-judge constitutional bench of the SHC comprising Justice Adnan-ul-Karim Memon and Justice Muhammad Jaffer Raza…

Upper Dir Proposes Week-long Closure of 18 Girls’ Schools

LOWER DIR: The district education officer on August 15 recommended the temporary closure for one week of 18 girls’ schools in the border areas of Upper Dir amid the prevailing security situation along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. According to an official letter issued by the district education officer, Upper Dir, to…

KP Government Launches Initiative to Identify Out-of-school Children

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on August 15 launched a data-driven initiative to identify out-of-school children across the province and to bring them back into the education system. A memorandum of understanding in this respect was signed by the elementary and secondary education, local government, elections and rural development, health and…

Minister Unveils Rs300 Million Education Package for Attock

TAXILA: Punjab Education Minister Rana Sikandar Hayat has announced a major package of educational initiatives for Attock, including the upgradation of information technology (IT) laboratories in 110 schools at cost of Rs300 million, two new university campuses, five Pink buses for girls’ colleges and an international study tour to Turkiye…

KP Govt Launches Initiative to Provide Artificial Intelligence Education

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on August 14 formally launched Global Virtual School (GVS), the first such initiative in the public sector by any government in the country, to provide virtual artificial intelligence education, linking up hundreds of schools across the length and breadth of the province. “The GVS will…
Go toTop